Saturday 6 August 2011

Day 110: 2/08/2011 – Sandton, South Africa

We woke up to a cold morning and were forced to get straight back in the saddle. Robs, despite being given permission to take the day off school (we are such bad parents) elected to go as it was sports day and she really wanted to catch up with all her friends. So it was back to breakfasts and school lunches.

After dropping her off at school, I headed off to the shops – the new Pick ‘n Pay in William Nicol (the flag ship of P’n P’s in S.A.). It took me ½ an hour to wonder through the bread and fruit sections. In the bread section, I had a choice of brown, white, seeded, cheese, rye, French loaf, rolls and so on – for months we were happy to find a loaf of government issue white bread. Then the fruit section; apples with skins of all shades of reds, pinks and greens, seasonal and non-seasonal imported fruit. I could put items in the trolley, without worrying about them fitting into the food boxes and fridge and I could pay for them with a credit card, instead of wads of the local currency. For the first time in my life I found grocery shopping a pleasure, I know the novelty will wear off soon.

The rest of the day was spent unpacking the car and trailer and catching up with friends and family.
Where to from here; School breaks up on Friday and next week we are off to the Drakensburg with Julie, Adie and Baby Luke. Then down to Cape Town for Kirsty’s birthday.

Term 3, starts 5 September and life goes back to normal but with amazing and wonderful memories of our African trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment