Tuesday 31 May 2011

Day 45: 29/05/2011 – Kisolanza Farm

 
It has become the norm, on our non-travelling days, to lie in a little later. Gray then makes coffee, either over a braai fire or on his little petrol stove. I did some washing and sorting out of the food boxes. As we are getting fresh farm produce today, I donated our, past its sell buy date, veg stuff to the farm pig and her 6 little piglets.

We spent the rest of the morning planning the route ahead. We feel we have to be more prepared when the kids are with us and avoid these totally out of way places on bad roads. With three of them crammed into the back seat, we need to look at less car time and more beach and bush time. Needless to say, this means all our initial plans, of touring eastern Tanzania and Rwanda, have flown out the window and I’m sure they will change many more times. The main issue is making sure we are near a major city around mid July so we can get Kirst on a flight back to UCT, via Jhb.

Around lunch time, having given breakfast a miss, we felt a little peckish and decided to see if we could get a salad or a sandwich at the restaurant. Florian said “I vil vip you up zee salad and a leetle meat” – 6 different salads, homemade loaves of bread, stuffed eggs, rare roast beef and a veg arrived, followed by pudding. I don’t feel like ever eating again and we still have his 3 course dinner later.

Back at camp Gray’s stomach started making some very colourful noises, he was the lucky one. About ½ hour later, without warning, the dreaded African tummy bug hit me. So much for being so healthy, I knew that statement a few days ago was tempting fate. So there I was with the squirts and 50m from the nearest long drop, the only thing worse would have been the same ailment with a portaloo on a construction site.

As the afternoon progressed I felt worse and by dinner I wasn’t even vaguely tempted by Florien’s cuisine and sipped on a coke as Gray ate a portion that could have fed us both. What is it with men’s constitutions, obviously we have both caught something but his stomach just growled like a pissed off lion and well, mine needs no description. By the time I crawled into bed I was aching, freezing cold and the thought that I may have malaria crossed my mind.

                                                         Our camp site

                                                         Inside the restaurant

                                                        Zee leetle salad for lunch


No comments:

Post a Comment